Frequently Asked Questions about Treatment After an Accident
How soon should I seek treatment?
Seek treatment for personal injuries immediately. Your insurance company or the person you are seeking a claim against may be responsible for paying medical bills, so keep all paperwork you receive regarding the accident. The law dictates a certain timeline for notifying your insurance company of medical treatment. You are entitled for compensation of medical bills if you notify your insurance company within 30 days of the treatment. If you notify them within 21 days, you may have up to 60 days to seek all necessary treatments and file appropriate paperwork.
Who will pay my medical bills?
In Florida, drivers are required to have Personal Injury Protection under the no-fault system. This means that insured drivers have their own insurance companies pay the first 80% of $10,000 in medical bills. Beyond that, you may need your own health insurance or the other driver’s insurance company to pay. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer at the Coye Law Firm can help you determine the source beyond $10,000.
Do I have to go to my own doctor?
You can go to any doctor capable of treating your injuries that resulted from the car accident. Make sure to coordinate the treatment with your insurance company and notify the car accident lawyer assigned to your case.
Call 407-648-4940 or contact Coye Law Firm today for a free consultation about your case.
The expert injury attorneys at Coye Law Firm are experienced with Florida, New York, Michigan, and District of Columbia law and are here to help the injured.
If you’d like to learn more about injury law and your rights, read my book, Sharing the Secrets, Learning the Lies: A Guide to Florida Personal Injury
From this book you will learn…
- The ONE THING you must do within 14 days of your accident (page 42)
- The two most important factors in determining case value (page 10)
- How to understand what your insurance will and will not cover (chapter 3)
- 6 critical steps you must take after an accident (page 65)
- Why you should not trust the insurance company’s repair shop (page 72)
- How to choose the right doctor (chapter 5)
- The secrets to getting a fair settlement (chapter 10)
- An 8-step breakdown of the normal process for lawsuits (page 109)
- The one 4-letter word that might cost you (chapter 12)
- How to start gathering the most important evidence you need (page 75)
- …and more!